Sunday, March 28, 2010

Let's get together..

I must start of this blog by apologizing that I haven't written in ages. But, the last month of my life has been, what I think to be, the most influential one yet. And I needed time to process it, and truly have to time think about the things I have learned. And it is only now that I can even think about articulating it.
Since I have last blogged, I have been in five different countries. And as I slowly flip through the once blank pages of my passport, I can now see them decorated in memories. England, Dubai, Kenya, Uganda, France, America.
Whoa.

Yes, as we all know, I love to travel. I view each added stamp on my passport like a reward, a trophy of sorts. But alas, my time for traveling has been paused for awhile, and here i am at home. My time in England is done for now, and I have unknown adventures ahead of me. It is a strange feeling. but it is not a sad one.

Very recently I have witnessed the beauty of community. A group of people that are nothing alike, working together for a common goal. And by working together, I mean loving one another. I experienced a glimpse of this at Capernwray, I believe. But, to be honest, it's a bit of a community with an expiration date. But i'm talking about a real community. One that has seen you grow up, make mistakes, try to sport different fashions, leave, come back, laugh, cry.
That's the kind of community i'm talking about.

I'm talking about the church.

I, personally, have never really been able to call myself a part of a church. There is not a building that I come home to where a bunch of old people come up to me, and ask how i'm doing. I don't have a group of people asking me what i've been learning, or what is on my heart. I don't have a church driveway to have a car wash in.
I never realized how much I was missing, until I witnessed a beautiful church, and a beautiful family in the English town of Rougham. That is a small church of Jesus loving, people loving, fools. It's unbelievable to see. It was beautiful. And it makes me realize why it is absolutely crucial to one's life to have a community to fall back on.
So please, if you have one, recognize it.
If you don't, get plugged in somewhere.


I have been going, I feel from place to place for the last six months. But the past few days, I think, have been the best. Because I felt rested. I felt like I was part of a community that was genuinely interested in my well-being. I felt like I was part of a family.
And that provides a peace and a comfort like no other.


So, one can get easily caught up in the excitement of a life of travel...

But what is a tree without it's roots?

We all have a home. We all have a community. We all have family.

So please, my friends, take advantage of it.
Organize a free car wash.
Raise money for a good cause, together.
Pray for each other.
Look out for one another.
Goof around with one another.
Have a bake sale.
Or just tell your parents how much you appreciate them, by taking them out to a meal.

It's amazing how much of an impact one person can have on your life, even in the most indirect way...

Now, go bake something.



[this is a photo i took from the tippy top of the eiffel tower.]

3 comments:

  1. "...dependent on God's providence and the church's hospitality."


    love you. so much.

    ReplyDelete
  2. AMEN kinsel...although I'm no fool :) haha

    ReplyDelete